To recognize student leaders in Anne Arundel County high schools for their accomplishments and to provide them with the opportunity to meet with successful leaders and each other to foster additional growth in leadership skills.After being accepted into and participating in the Kevin E. Reichardt Foundation Leadership Program, one student each year will be recognized with the Kevin E. Reichardt Leadership Scholarship, which for 2013 will be in the amount of $4,000.
The Kevin E. Reichardt Foundation Leadership Program (KRFLP) offers leadership development and training for high school students from across Anne Arundel County, as well as college scholarship opportunities for graduating seniors. The program is open to all students who are at least 16 years of age or will be juniors or seniors in the upcoming school year.
The KRFLP is rooted in the understanding that young people who exhibit leadership qualities benefit from an environment where leadership skills are further developed and that those individuals deserve recognition and reward for their leadership capabilities. Our Program gives students practical skills and insights that will help them grow into leadership roles in their communities.
- To prepare future leaders for ethical and responsible citizenship
- To connect youth leaders from different backgrounds and with different areas of interest with each other and with current leaders in the business, government, and not for profit sectors
- To energize AA County youth by providing development opportunities and rewards for excellence
Student Leaders will be invited to at least one workshop with business, civic, and international leaders in a small group (less than 30 participating students) to include presentations by the leaders referenced above, a question and answer session, and a moderator-led discussion among the Student Leaders. The first workshop will take place on October 4th, 2013 in Annapolis, MD.
Active Student Leaders are automatically eligible to apply for a KRFLP Scholarship to any college, university, or community college.
A typical Leadership Program class includes up to 30 Student Leaders. All students attending a public or private Anne Arundel County high school – or an Anne Arundel County resident attending high school in another County – are eligible to participate. Students must be at least 16 years old by July 1 of the program year or at least entering their junior year of high school in the fall of their program year. The class is also open to graduating seniors. Students come from throughout Anne Arundel County, representing a diverse variety of communities.
A KRFLP class will typically include students that are interested in many different academic subjects and participate in numerous extracurricular activities. This program is for all students who are keenly interested in learning more about leadership. The program attracts students who will be leaders in all aspects of life.
Applications for inclusion can be submitted in hard copy or online. Hard copy applications must be postmarked by April 30th, while online applications will be accepted until May 31st. Admission decisions will be mailed by June 15th. Students for the program are chosen through a careful selection process that includes the following considerations:
- Complete application and essay
- Academic Record
- Letter of Recommendation (from an academic affiliate (principal, counselor,teacher or administrator) or from an individual representing a community agency, organization, religious institution or employer with whom the candidate has been associated.
- Personal Interview – Some qualified finalists may be contacted for a brief telephone or in-person interview. The interviews are conducted by Reichardt Foundation Board members.